The Pond | Michael-Baker International JV is proud to announce that the Jacksonville Regional Transportation Center (JRTC) has been honored with an American Council of Engineering Companies of Florida (ACEC FL) Engineering Excellence Award.
Planned with the goal of improving the City’s transportation infrastructure, the new multi-modal center sits in the heart of historic LaVilla neighborhood, overlooking a scenic view of downtown Jacksonville. The facility consists of an inter-city bus terminal building and the Jacksonville Transportation Authority (JTA) administration headquarters, which are connected by a convenient pedestrian bridge. Commuters can now easily access the centralized local and regional bus network, taxi services, an elevated rail system, and more.
“This iconic project will serve as the bookend to the future development of Jacksonville’s Shipyards and will support on-going redevelopment initiatives in the historic LaVilla neighborhood,” said Jacksonville Transit Authority Project Manager, Frederick Jones, AICP.
The fully integrated transit center blends timeless and modern design by incorporating elements of the City’s vibrant history, while providing a channel for sustained growth. An elevated urban plaza allows for the addition of mixed-use retail services, which will spur advancement and economic opportunity. Public terraces, bike paths, crosswalks, and community artwork also surround JRTC, promoting neighborhood revitalization.
“What I’m most proud about on the project is what it means for the future,” said Nina Sickler, PE Principal-in-Charge of the Pond | Michael-Baker International JV team. “This project has spawned a lot of excellent things for the La Villa area and downtown Jacksonville.”
Based on multi-faceted criteria, the Regional Transit Center and other six projects selected for award by ACEC-FL are eligible to receive the overall best engineering project for the state of Florida. This award will be announced ACEC-FL Annual Conference Banquet held August 6, 2021.
Learn more about Jacksonville Regional Transportation Center (JRTC) here.
List of honors Jacksonville Regional Transportation Center has received:
- 2021 Honor Award, ACEC Georgia Engineering Excellence
- 2021 Grand Award, ACEC Florida Engineering Excellence
- 2021 Bronze Award, ACEC Massachusetts Engineering Excellence
- 2020 Merit Award, Regional Best Projects Airport/Transit Category, ENR Southeast
- 2020 “Project of the Year” The Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) of Florida, First Coast Chapter
- 2020 Eagle Award in the institutional $25 million to $100 million category, The Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) of Florida, First Coast Chapter
- 2020 Florida Public Transportation Association’s (FPTA) Outstanding System
- 2017 Design Award of Merit | General Unbuilt, AIA Jacksonville