State Route (SR) 6 Congestion Reduction Design - Douglas and Cobb Counties, Georgia
Pond prepared a traffic study and concept design to implement truck-friendly lanes along SR 6 (Thornton Road) in Douglas and Cobb Counties. This design will improve safety and operations from I-20 to the Whitaker Intermodal Terminal, six miles to the north, and reduce travel congestion. This project is a unique mixture of roadway widening and Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) elements to create a first of its kind, truly truck friendly corridor.
Unique Project Elements:
- Overhead signs and pavement markings
- Dilemma zone protection for trucks
- Traffic responsive signal timing based on sensing mix of vehicles and adjusting for heavy truck volumes
- Bluetooth travel time information
- Camera monitoring with fiber optic connections to GDOT, Douglas County, and Cobb County DOT
- Traveler information to intermodal center – NaviGAtor and overhead signage to avoid confusion with drop lanes
- Loop ramp for I-20
- Truck Advantage Lane defined with additional pavement/lanes
Relevant Project Highlights:
- Corridor-wide evaluation of most efficient approach to move mixed traffic through the heavily traveled area.
- Focused signal by signal approach to developing a corridor-wide plan for optimal operations.
- Highly varied and specific approach to developing the best operations and traffic flow.
Pond Awarded Contract to Design New Quick Start Training Center
ATLANTA, GA - (June 5, 2023) – Through a partnership with the Georgia State Financing and Investment Commission (GSFIC), the Technical College System of Georgia (TCSG), and Quick Start, Pond has been awarded a contract to provide architecture and engineering services...
Certified Industrial Hygienist Mark Kline Joins Pond’s Environmental Group
ATLANTA, GA - (June 2, 2023) – Pond today announced that Mark Kline has joined the firm’s Environmental and Water Resources Group as a Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH). In this role, Kline will support Pond’s environmental health and safety services for clients in...
Travis Guidt, Lt Col, USAF (Ret.), Hired as Senior Project Manager for Pond’s Federal Group
ATLANTA, GA - (May 26, 2023) – Pond today announced the hiring of Travis Guidt, U.S. Air Force Lieutenant Colonel, Retired, as a Senior Project Manager for the firm’s Federal group. In this role, Guidt will use his military civil engineering and project management...