State Route (SR) 6 Congestion Reduction Design - Douglas and Cobb Counties, Georgia
Pond prepared a traffic study and concept design to implement truck-friendly lanes along SR 6 (Thornton Road) in Douglas and Cobb Counties. This design will improve safety and operations from I-20 to the Whitaker Intermodal Terminal, six miles to the north, and reduce travel congestion. This project is a unique mixture of roadway widening and Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) elements to create a first of its kind, truly truck friendly corridor.
Unique Project Elements:
- Overhead signs and pavement markings
- Dilemma zone protection for trucks
- Traffic responsive signal timing based on sensing mix of vehicles and adjusting for heavy truck volumes
- Bluetooth travel time information
- Camera monitoring with fiber optic connections to GDOT, Douglas County, and Cobb County DOT
- Traveler information to intermodal center – NaviGAtor and overhead signage to avoid confusion with drop lanes
- Loop ramp for I-20
- Truck Advantage Lane defined with additional pavement/lanes
Relevant Project Highlights:
- Corridor-wide evaluation of most efficient approach to move mixed traffic through the heavily traveled area.
- Focused signal by signal approach to developing a corridor-wide plan for optimal operations.
- Highly varied and specific approach to developing the best operations and traffic flow.
ATLANTA – May 05, 2022 – The Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) recently awarded a multi-year on-call contract to Pond for Architectural and Engineering Consulting Services to support the design of new and existing facilities and for the upgrade or...
The Society of American Military Engineers (SAME) is hosting their Joint Engineer Training Conference and Expo (JETC) on May 10, 2022. Pond Federal Program Manager and Associate VP, Pam Little, is being inducted as SAME’s Southeast Regional Vice President at this...
JACKSONVILLE – April 25, 2022 – Pond, a progressive, full-service engineering, architecture, and planning company, is expanding its Water Resources Program with the addition of Chris Fagerstrom, PE as Water Resources Director. Chris brings more than 23 years of...