State Route (SR) 6 Congestion Reduction Design - Douglas and Cobb Counties, Georgia
Pond prepared a traffic study and concept design to implement truck-friendly lanes along SR 6 (Thornton Road) in Douglas and Cobb Counties. This design will improve safety and operations from I-20 to the Whitaker Intermodal Terminal, six miles to the north, and reduce travel congestion. This project is a unique mixture of roadway widening and Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) elements to create a first of its kind, truly truck friendly corridor.
Unique Project Elements:
- Overhead signs and pavement markings
- Dilemma zone protection for trucks
- Traffic responsive signal timing based on sensing mix of vehicles and adjusting for heavy truck volumes
- Bluetooth travel time information
- Camera monitoring with fiber optic connections to GDOT, Douglas County, and Cobb County DOT
- Traveler information to intermodal center – NaviGAtor and overhead signage to avoid confusion with drop lanes
- Loop ramp for I-20
- Truck Advantage Lane defined with additional pavement/lanes
Relevant Project Highlights:
- Corridor-wide evaluation of most efficient approach to move mixed traffic through the heavily traveled area.
- Focused signal by signal approach to developing a corridor-wide plan for optimal operations.
- Highly varied and specific approach to developing the best operations and traffic flow.
ATLANTA – (9.25.20) – Pond welcomes Bob Ruch, US Army Colonel (retired) as Executive Vice President for Defense and Federal. With over 30 years of military experience and leadership, he will oversee Pond’s support to the Army, Navy, Air Force, and National Guard as...
Pond’s David Hunter was featured in the September 2020 Edition of CoatingsPro Magazine, where he shares a case study on a coatings failure. To read his article, “The Case of the Discolored Animal Shelter Floor,” visit their website here.
A spotless safety record is an expectation for every Pond project. We are proud to uphold rigorous regulatory standards and give our clients a peace of mind. Part of our safety culture includes recognizing when our teams go above and beyond. Here is an example of a...