State Route (SR) 6 Congestion Reduction Design - Douglas and Cobb Counties, Georgia
Pond prepared a traffic study and concept design to implement truck-friendly lanes along SR 6 (Thornton Road) in Douglas and Cobb Counties. This design will improve safety and operations from I-20 to the Whitaker Intermodal Terminal, six miles to the north, and reduce travel congestion. This project is a unique mixture of roadway widening and Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) elements to create a first of its kind, truly truck friendly corridor.
Unique Project Elements:
- Overhead signs and pavement markings
- Dilemma zone protection for trucks
- Traffic responsive signal timing based on sensing mix of vehicles and adjusting for heavy truck volumes
- Bluetooth travel time information
- Camera monitoring with fiber optic connections to GDOT, Douglas County, and Cobb County DOT
- Traveler information to intermodal center – NaviGAtor and overhead signage to avoid confusion with drop lanes
- Loop ramp for I-20
- Truck Advantage Lane defined with additional pavement/lanes
Relevant Project Highlights:
- Corridor-wide evaluation of most efficient approach to move mixed traffic through the heavily traveled area.
- Focused signal by signal approach to developing a corridor-wide plan for optimal operations.
- Highly varied and specific approach to developing the best operations and traffic flow.
ATLANTA – (08.18.21) – Pond, one of the country’s fastest growing architecture, engineering, and planning firms, is advancing strategic initiatives with the appointment of Deborah Moazen as Principal and Chief Marketing Officer. In this role, Moazen will develop and...
ATLANTA – (08.03.21) – The latest phase of the AeroATL Greenway, a concept for a network of connected trails in South Metro Atlanta, is now complete. Engaging multiple stakeholders across seven distinct communities, Pond worked with the ATL Airport Community...
ATLANTA – (07.14.21) – Pond, an ENR Top 80 industry leader in engineering, planning and architecture services, is excited to announce Lorraine Green, PE, as the firm’s Chief Executive Officer. Green joined the firm in 2008 as Energy Program Director. Her experience...