State Route (SR) 6 Congestion Reduction Design - Douglas and Cobb Counties, Georgia
Pond prepared a traffic study and concept design to implement truck-friendly lanes along SR 6 (Thornton Road) in Douglas and Cobb Counties. This design will improve safety and operations from I-20 to the Whitaker Intermodal Terminal, six miles to the north, and reduce travel congestion. This project is a unique mixture of roadway widening and Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) elements to create a first of its kind, truly truck friendly corridor.
Unique Project Elements:
- Overhead signs and pavement markings
- Dilemma zone protection for trucks
- Traffic responsive signal timing based on sensing mix of vehicles and adjusting for heavy truck volumes
- Bluetooth travel time information
- Camera monitoring with fiber optic connections to GDOT, Douglas County, and Cobb County DOT
- Traveler information to intermodal center – NaviGAtor and overhead signage to avoid confusion with drop lanes
- Loop ramp for I-20
- Truck Advantage Lane defined with additional pavement/lanes
Relevant Project Highlights:
- Corridor-wide evaluation of most efficient approach to move mixed traffic through the heavily traveled area.
- Focused signal by signal approach to developing a corridor-wide plan for optimal operations.
- Highly varied and specific approach to developing the best operations and traffic flow.
ATLANTA - (07.09.20) - Pond, an industry leader in planning, architecture, engineering and construction management, is excited to introduce PLACE, an integration of the firm’s Planning, Landscape Architecture and Civil Engineering expertise. Together these disciplines...
ATLANTA - (07.07.20) - Pond, an industry leader in architecture, engineering, planning and construction services, is excited to be recognized as one of Zweig’s 2020 Best Firms to Work For. Our firm ranked #13 in the 200+ Employees category and #20 in the...
Pond is proud to be a part of this initiative in Jacksonville! "Groundwork Jacksonville has unveiled the design of the Emerald Trail Model Project — the first segment of the Emerald Trail linking Brooklyn to the S-Line Rail Link through LaVilla. Construction of the...