State Route (SR) 6 Congestion Reduction Design - Douglas and Cobb Counties, Georgia
Pond prepared a traffic study and concept design to implement truck-friendly lanes along SR 6 (Thornton Road) in Douglas and Cobb Counties. This design will improve safety and operations from I-20 to the Whitaker Intermodal Terminal, six miles to the north, and reduce travel congestion. This project is a unique mixture of roadway widening and Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) elements to create a first of its kind, truly truck friendly corridor.
Unique Project Elements:
- Overhead signs and pavement markings
- Dilemma zone protection for trucks
- Traffic responsive signal timing based on sensing mix of vehicles and adjusting for heavy truck volumes
- Bluetooth travel time information
- Camera monitoring with fiber optic connections to GDOT, Douglas County, and Cobb County DOT
- Traveler information to intermodal center – NaviGAtor and overhead signage to avoid confusion with drop lanes
- Loop ramp for I-20
- Truck Advantage Lane defined with additional pavement/lanes
Relevant Project Highlights:
- Corridor-wide evaluation of most efficient approach to move mixed traffic through the heavily traveled area.
- Focused signal by signal approach to developing a corridor-wide plan for optimal operations.
- Highly varied and specific approach to developing the best operations and traffic flow.
JACKSONVILLE, FL - (Feb. 27, 2024) – Pond, an industry leader in architecture, engineering, planning and construction management services, is expanding the architectural practice in the firm’s Jacksonville, Florida office with the addition of Eric West, AIA and Andres...
Author:Richard Fangmann | Vice President | firstname.lastname@example.org Introduction In 2023, Pond conducted a comprehensive evaluation of the parking conditions in the West Tampa Community Redevelopment Area (CRA) to enhance the transportation landscape of West Tampa...
Author:Andy Lawton, PE | Principal, Program Director & Utilities Market Leader | email@example.comUnderstanding PHMSA’s NPRM for DIMP: Emergency Response Plans, O&M Manuals, Management of Change In early 2023, the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety...